At JCP, experiential education is at the core of our educational philosophy, and the eclipse in just a few short weeks presents an opportunity for experiential education in its purest form. John Dewey, who popularized this philosophy, stressed the importance of following meaningful experience with reflection. I love the opportunity the eclipse presents us with, to have a powerful and exciting experience with our friends and families in real time. When you are experiencing the eclipse with your friends and families, and especially your children, perhaps you would like to pose one or two of the following reflection questions to maximize the experience of the eclipse:
- How did it feel to witness the eclipse?
- What senses did you use in the experience?
- What questions do you have about eclipses and our solar system in general?
Here are three of my favorite eclipse links:
- Fun suggestions on how to throw an Eclipse-themed party
- Make sure your viewing of the eclipse is fun and safe!
- Best Snack Ideas themed to the occasion