The beginning of an adult Jewish journey
Project Bet—JCP’s B’nai Mitzvah Experience—puts tradition and creativity at its center, celebrating the individuality of every child and the value of community.
Each child will gain self-confidence and a sense of accomplishment while building an increasing ownership over their young adult identity. This is a beginning, a springboard from which to dive more deeply into what it means to be Jewish over the course of a lifetime.
The Project Bet experience is also a communal one in which all children will ask themselves and each other: what does it mean to grow as a Jewish individual, friend, and global citizen?
Project Bet integrates individualized study and leadership opportunities with experiential learning in a cohort of peers and participation in the larger community:
Just as every child is unique, every JCP Bar or Bat Mitzvah ceremony is unique.
- A personalized celebration that suits your family’s Jewish perspective, values, and style with JCP’s rabbi and musician.
- Logistical setup of a celebration downtown, including a ceremony hosted at JCP (146 Duane) or JCP bringing our Torah scroll and prayer books to another downtown location for a ceremony.
Your child will prepare for a Bar or Bat Mitzvah ceremony with:
- Tutoring with one of JCP’s B’nai Mitzvah educators, focusing on Torah reading, prayer leadership, or other individual goals throughout the year leading up to the celebration.
- Individualized study sessions with JCP’s rabbi throughout the six months leading up to the celebration.
- Personalized family education, beginning with an initial meeting one year prior to the celebration.
Our curriculum is designed as a natural continuation of Project Aleph, the grade school years of HSP, and also welcomes students from different Jewish backgrounds. Jewish Day school students are integrated into the 7th and 8th grade classes. Classroom time provides students with opportunities to learn about Jewish text, values, and practice.
- 6th grade cohort, meeting weekly on Mondays from 4:00- 6:00 PM
- 7th grade cohort, meeting from 6:15- 7:45 PM on select Mondays
- 8th grade cohort, meeting from 6:15- 7:45 PM on select Mondays
Participants explore ideas relevant to Jewish teens through unique social activities, leadership opportunities, and the arts in a variety of venues around the city, and celebrate Shabbat with one another and the larger JCP community at services and meals.
Tuition and Registration for students entering 6th grade
The tuition for Project Bet, our three-year B’nai Mitzvah Experience, that includes 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Hebrew School classes, together with the comprehensive program described above, is as follows:
- Deposit when securing a date: $1,000.00
- Due upon enrollment in 6th grade year: $4,000.00
- Due one year before the ceremony date: $3,500.00
- Due six months before the ceremony date: $3,500.00
- Due one month before the ceremony date: $3,000.00
Tuition and Registration for students currently enrolled
in HSP’s 6th or 7th grade who are entering 7th or 8th grade*
- Tuition is $1,900 for 7th grade classes and youth group
- Tuition is $1,900 for 8th grade classes and youth group
*Please note that this 7th and 8th grade tuition plan only applies to students who are currently enrolled in HSP’s 6th or 7th grade. Current 5th grade students are enrolling in the updated Project Bet: JCP’s B’nai Mitzvah Experience.
JCP strives to address barriers from participation. Please join us in conversation about the particular type of support from which your child or family could benefit.